Fuzzies for Seniors is a program designed to bring joy to the lives of seniors ... and to the kitties who love them!
Participation in our program is simple -- there are only three ingredients:
What are the costs normally associated with adopting a cat?
- A senior who is seeking a kitty companion and who lives in a pet-friendly home, condo, apartment, or nursing facilty;
- A rescue organization willing to work with Pets Bring Joy to suggest cats available for adoption who would be suitable as senior companions;
- An advocate for the senior -- a friend, family member, or care provider -- who is willing and able to assist the senior with those aspects of pet care that prove difficult (for example, taking the cat to a veterinary appointment, going to the store to purchase pet supplies, etc.), and who will serve as a liaison between the senior and Pets Bring Joy.
- First, there are the normal costs for cat care items -- high quality cat food, cat litter, grooming, and routine veterinary care.
- Another important aspect of adopting a cat is having the capacity to afford medical care as needed if the cat should become ill or injured, or to purchase veterinary insurance coverage for these items.
- Costs will vary, but will likely fall within these ranges:
- Food: $10 - $25 per month
- Cat litter: $10 - $20 per month
- Annual wellness exams/vaccinations: $200 - $300 per year
- Pet medical insurance: $50 - $70 per year
Depending on the rescue organization involved, the senior may be required to pay an adoption fee directly to that organization.
Please note that Pets Bring Joy does not charge any fees for the Fuzzies for Seniors program! All of our operating expenses are covered through our separate fund-raising activities. :o)